Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

mags

Many of you know that our dog Maggie got her leg broken a few weeks ago. This has been an ordeal to say the least. Honestly! We were given some options by her vet initially to do surgery, or to splint the leg and see if it heals. We really really wanted to avoid the surgery because of the cost so we decided to try the splint to see if it would heal. Well, yesterday we received some bad news about the leg and found out that the bone was about to pierce through the skin and that we had to do the surgery. Bummer!! Maggie is so sweet and such a special part of our family and we love her very much! We decided to move ahead with the surgery. She had it this morning and she did very well. When I received the call from the surgeon, he said that the surgery was way more complicated than he had expected and that the leg was really really hard to put back together. He put a plate in her leg with about 5 screws to hold the bone together but it wasn't enough so he had to add an external fixture using metal rods that go through the bone and out each side of her leg. Poor maggie! Then he tells me that he is hopefull the leg will heal but that he's not sure if it will actually heal when all is said and done. He told me that he wanted to be upfront and honest with me. Maggie might end up losing her leg. Oh man! What a blow! We have some major financial concerns about this whole thing and we're also concerned that Maggie will end up losing her leg. This just sucks! Plain and simple.

I know that some of you don't understand why we would pay so much for a dog but for those of you who are animal lovers understand what it's like to love a pet like it's a family member. We love our Maggie and want the best for her. Plus the circumstances of the broken leg just suck! My hubby accidentally stepped on her and broke the leg so we would feel terrible if we didn't do all we could to help her.

Anyway, this just all together sucks! I am feeling so frustrated with things right now. It doesn't seem that anything good is coming our way and I'm not just talking about Maggie. There are other things that I just don't understand. I guess I'm just using this blog as an outlet to vent. I don't know, maybe I'm just exhausted. Who knows. We get to pick up Maggie in the morning so I'll make sure to update the blog with her condition. We got to see her this afternoon and she looked okay but seemed to be uncomfortable. I hope she sleeps well tonight and knows that we love her very much.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh man poor Maggie. I'm so sorry. I hope things start looking up.

Sherrie said...

Oh Talia I'm so sorry! I do understand! My pets are my babies and huge part of my family too. My dachshund had to have surgery a few years ago to remove a cancerous tumor in one of her teats. The financial cost of any veterinarian service is very expensive and it set us back... but we felt it was worth it. She doesn't have cancer and thats the best thing because it could have turned out so much worse.

My heart and eyes are crying for you and for Maggie. I will be praying that she will make a full recovery. Can a dog receive a priesthood blessing?

Hang in there Talia and keep us all informed on her condition. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hugs!

The Rindi's said...

Awe Talia I'm so sorry!! I know what it's like to love a dog as part of the family!! I really hope Maggie's leg heals:) I also know what it's like to feel like you can't catch a break. I'm sorry for this too just try to remember it will pass!! You guys are in our prayers!!