Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Ever had the Molten Chocolate Cake at Chilis? I have and it is freaking delicious! Possibly my favorite dessert of all time.

The other night I made a nice dinner for Justin which included my own rendition of the cake. It turned out delicious! Seriously! It tastes almost exactly the same as what you get at Chilis. I'm in love! In this post, I am going to take you through the step by step directions of how to make the cake. It is super easy!! Try it out and let me know what you think.

Photobucket

First you will need a boxed german chocolate cake mix. I used Betty Crocker. Mix the cake using the directions on the box. Then using a Texas sized muffin tin, pour the batter in to the greased tin. The Texas sized muffin tin provides a larger mold and makes bigger cakes. Bake the large cupcakes according to the time on the box for baking cupcakes. Mine needed to bake a little longer due to the size. Let the cupcakes cool completely before moving on to the next step.

Photobucket

Now you are going to take the cupcake and carefully cut the top off so that the top is nice and flat.

Photobucket

Flip the cake upside down so that the top is now the bottom and place the cake on a plate.

Photobucket

Take a knife and cut a small reservoir in the top of the cake. Be sure not to cut through the entire cake. We are going to be filling the reservoir with fudge and don't want it to leak out.

Photobucket

Grab a bottle of hot fudge. I used regular old Smuckers hot fudge from the grocery store. It turned out fantastic. Using a spoon, fill the reservoir. Make sure you are using cooled/room temperature hot fudge. We don't want the fuge seeping into the cake just yet.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now you are going to place the fudge filled cake in the freezer for about 2-3 hours. You want the cake to be frozen as well as the fudge. This also allows you to store the other cakes for later use. YaY! Theres nothing better than having Molten Chocolate Cake on hand at all times. Ü

Photobucket

When you are ready to eat your cake, simply take it out of the freezer and pop it in the microwave for about 1 minute. Make sure the cake is nuked long enough for the fudge to really melt and seep into the cake. This is what will make the cake spongy.

Then drizzle the plate with a little caramel.

Photobucket

Place a scoop of ice cream on the top.

Photobucket

Then top the ice cream with this nifty stuff and voila!

Photobucket

Enjoy!!

5 comments:

Celeste said...

I always thought it was way more complicated...thanks alot for blowing my diet! ;)

The Rindi's said...

Oo I am SO excited to make this!!! It doesn't even look that hard!! Thanks for sharing!!

Kristy said...

Genius!! I will have to try it. Where did you find the bigger cupcake pan?

The Jones Family said...

Look at how adorable you are with your recipe and all of your awesome pictures! You are such a super momma!

Sherrie said...

I've been wanting to know how to make those. Mmmmm it looks and sounds so good right now. I will have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!